Thursday, January 10, 2013

Assessments, Goals and MLK, oh my!

Anyone else completely and utterly exhausted, but in a good way? I've enjoyed coming back to my 21 smiling faces, and we've hit the ground running! With report cards due Monday at 8:00 am, I have been scrambling to make sure I have everything assessed.

My students used this test for math.

I just copied the standards I needed that I had all ready taught, which turned out to be 17, which shocked me! It was a lot, which meant the test took FOREVER. Even with only three questions the students really took a long time.

The test has 2 multiple choice and an extended response question that required an explanation and drawing. It was good though, because it was a great way to see what I need to work on before the state test in March. Also, a great stamina builder! :)

We also worked on goals and talked about New Year's resolutions and how the students can have goals for what they want to achieve. They created action steps and we talked about SMART goals.

Next week my plan is to work on Non-Fiction text features and informative writing, an important part of Common Core. One way I will do this is my new MLK Non-Fiction Text Analysis and Mini Research Report product.



This allows me to teach about text features (heading, photo, caption, title) as well as, how to answer and ask questions about non-fiction and find answers in text.

There is a timeline and map page as well! I think it is so important that they are able to use a timeline and read a map.

Finally, they will be able to create their own article about MLK using the provided graphic organizer and pictures they can cut out.

In addition, I found this super cute activity that has some cute graphic organizers for writing about MLK's values of respect and peace by TpT seller, The First Grade Reader. Download {here}. I will use these when I read the "I Have a Dream" book which is the text of his famous speech paired with beautiful pictures.




I hope everyone has a fabulous Friday!!

Purchase products here:
Common Core 3rd Grade Multi-Format Math Assessment
Student Goal Setting Packet: Create SMART Goals for NWEA, DRA and Behavior
Martin Luther King: Non Fiction Text Analysis and Mini Research Report


No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!